Information on the discretionary fund
Charities and small or micro businesses who were not previously eligible for the business grant scheme set up in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, can now register for additional support.
The registration can be found on the Bath and North East Somerset Council pages. Please read more about the fund, eligibility and the registration process: https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/register-discretionary-fund
What the discretionary fund is for
!Warning This discretionary funding is taxable, but only businesses making an overall profit (once grant income is included) will be subject to tax.
This discretionary fund is to support the following:
- Charities and community organisations who receive mandatory charitable business rates relief that otherwise would have been eligible for small business rates relief, or rural rate relief AND are not eligible under the existing grant schemes
- Small and micro businesses directly impacted by COVID-19 who also:
- Have relatively high ongoing fixed building-related costs such as rent, service charges and Council Tax
- Occupy property, or part of a property, with a rateable value or annual rent or annual mortgage payments below £51,000
Under the guidance set by central Government, the following businesses will be prioritised for the discretionary funding:
- Shared or flexible workspaces - small businesses that have exclusive use of a unit within a shared or flexible workspace, but don't have their own business rates assessment (for example, units in offices, industrial parks, science parks and incubators)
- Market or Street Traders with a fixed pitch and a street trading licence, or lease agreement if in a covered market
- Bed & Breakfasts and guest houses - where the business owner lives on site, holds a valid Food Safety registration with the council and is paying Council Tax rather than business rates
As a unitary authority, we (B&NES) have discretion over how we prioritise funding applications, which is likely to be based on local economic need and subject to the availability of funding. Limited discretion is also available to consider a small number of businesses who meet the eligible business criteria (below), but don't fall into the priority categories (above).
Please read more about the fund, eligibility and the registration process: https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/register-discretionary-fund
If you have any questions, please email our grants team on: BusinessGrants_Appeal@BATHNES.GOV.UK